Are you ready for that upcoming press interview?
One of my most favorite things about public relations is forming relationships with the press, clients and colleagues, nurturing them, and watching them grow over time. However, it’s not always easy! I look at communicating with one another as a form of art, as well as a science. I find it fascinating the learn about others and decipher how I can speak to them in an effective manner that resonates with them and truly helps us connect.
It’s this little passion of mine that inspired me to create a new service for Canyon PR – media training! So often, I see companies attend trade shows ready to tell the world about their product or service, but they tend to lack one thing – the ability to execute a proper interview with the press. Learning how to engage with the press can be overwhelming or exhilarating for some, but with a little guidance, encouragement and key tips, it can end up being an enjoyable and beneficial experience!
Although we offer a full in-house media training service, there are a few key points I’d like to share with you:
1. Be on time, if not early!
2. Ask for speaking topics beforehand if available; if not, prepare, prepare, prepare!
3. Stay focused and present – keep that eye contact going strong!
4. Be respectful of the interviewer’s time.
5. Trust in yourself, relax and enjoy the experience.
If you are interested in learning more about our media training services or know of someone who is, contact us and let’s see how we can help you nail that next interview!
- Megan Saulsbury, founder and CEO, Canyon PR